[Acm] Working on Pentium IV

Matt mjr40 at ix.netcom.com
Sat Apr 5 16:35:44 PDT 2008

Cameron -

Since the 2 other PCs in your office that we were prepping got thrown out, I thought I would push forward with trying to get some other equipment on line in the next few weeks.  Currently, I am refurbishing a Pentium IV that I found in the garbage in my neighborhood in Queens.  I installed OpenSuse, but I am having some problems getting KDE/X Windows running.  Since I put an old video card in it, I believe that may be the problem.  I will purchase a used one from my hardware supplier in midtown with more memory on it.  The PIV has 128 MB of RAM and a 6 GB IDE hard drive.

Interestingly enough, I did a test install with WinXP and it went smoothly with the older video card.  Hmmmm.

Matt